August 31, 2016
PROPOSITION 106: Seeks to legalize physician assisted suicide. This NovemberColorado voters will be asked whether or not physician assisted suicide should be legalized in Colorado. It is extremely unfortunate that the issue of physician assisted suicide will be on the ballot in November.
It is our hope that the voters of Colorado recognize the flawed logic of those supporting this effort – namely that it is illogical for the state to promote and/or facilitate suicide for one group of persons — calling the suicides of those with a terminal illness and a specific prognosis “dignified and humane,” while recognizing suicide as a serious statewide public health concern in all other circumstances, and spending enormous resources to combat it.
We hope that the people of Colorado will vote to oppose this dangerous and harmful initiative and instead urge elected officials to improve access to palliative care and hospice care for those in the final stages of terminal illness. Improved education and training of physicians in pain management, together with appropriate diagnosis and treatment for depression, would go a long way toward eliminating calls for suicide among the sick and the dying.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP DEFEAT PROPOSITION 106?
MAKE A DONATION
None of us can afford to be silent on this issue. Already our opponents have set aside $5 million dollars and are expected to invest even more money in making Colorado the next assisted suicide state. Checks can be made out to: No Assisted Suicide Colorado and all donation can be sent to:
NO ASSISTED SUICIDE COLORADO
1535 Logan Street
Denver, CO 80203-1913
**Please note that donations are NOT tax deductible
WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER OPPOSING PHYSICIAN ASSISTED SUICIDE
Please be aware that there are word limits for these types of letters so it is best to contact the newspaper or look at their website to determine what the parameters of a letter to the editor would be for a specific publication
VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 106
Election day is Tuesday November 8, 2016. If you are not registered to vote it’s not too late; pleaseCLICK HERE to register to vote.
We can never underestimate the great power of prayer. As St. Pope John Paul II reminded us:
"May prayer strengthen us for the spiritual battle we are told about in the Letter to the Ephesians: 'Draw strength from the Lord and from His mighty power' (Ephesians6:10). The Book of Revelation refers to this same battle, recalling before our eyes the image of St. Michael the Archangel (Revelation 12:7). Pope Leo XIII certainly had a very vivid recollection of this scene when, at the end of the last century, he introduced a special prayer to St. Michael throughout the Church. Although this prayer is no longer recited at the end of Mass, I ask everyone not to forget it and to recite it to obtain help in the battle against forces of darkness and against the spirit of this world.”
PRAYER TO ST. MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL
Holy Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray: and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the Divine power of God cast into hell Satan and all wicked spirits who wander throughout the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES & ARTICLES REGARDING PHYSICIAN ASSISTED SUICIDE
- Election video from Bishop Berg, Archbishop Aquila and Bishop Sheridan: Click here.
- Archdiocese of Denver video: Eduardo Verastegui - Vote No on Prop 106 (Spanish): Click here.
- USA Today article, Vote against assisted suicide in Colorado: Column: Click here.
- Why You Should Fight It: One-page flyer from the Archdiocese of Denver: Click to Download.
- Bishop Stephen Berg's article, September issue of Today's Catholic: Click here.
- Colorado Catholic Conference Executive Director Jenny Kraska's article, September issue of Today's Catholic: Click here.
- Letter from Regis University President Rev. John P. Fitzgibbons, S.J.: Click here.
- Patients Rights Council: http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org/site/
- Why 9NEWS won’t stop using the words “assisted suicide”: http://www.9news.com/news/local/why-9news-wont-stop-saying-assisted-suicide/300870445
- Assisted Suicide is Not Progressive:http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/physician-assisted-suicide-is-not-progressive/264091/
- Why Are They Trying To Make Us Kill Our Patients?http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-are-they-trying-to-make-us-kill-our-patients-1469395442
- ALS Suicide Party in California:http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438965/als-suicide-party?target=author&tid=73549
For more information about this legislative issue or any others in the state of Colorado, please visit the Colorado Catholic Conference website or contact them by email at email@example.com or by phone: (303)894-8808.