How to Report Suspected Abuse

What should I do if I suspect a child is being abused?

The Diocese of Pueblo is committed to preventing harm from happening to any of our children or vulnerable adults. If you or someone you know has experienced an incident of sexual abuse by clergy, employee or volunteer of the Diocese of Pueblo, please contact law enforcement and the Diocesan Director of Human Resources

Diocesan Director of Human Resources
Joe'l DeYoung
(719) 544-9861 x1172.

If the caller does not reach someone directly, messages can be left on an answering machine connected to the phone. Those messages will be retrieved and returned as soon as possible.

 Reporting an Incident

When a complaint of sexual abuse of a child or minor is brought to any person working for the Church, he or she is

(1) to urge the complainant to notify the legal authorities immediately and assist the person to do so if the complainant wishes;

(2) to call the legal authorities immediately after receiving whatever information has been provided, consistent with protection of confidential relationship and particularly that of the Seal of Confession, whether or not the complainant wishes that; and

(3) after having done that, to inform the Diocesan Director of Human Resources. A Diocese of Pueblo Child Abuse Reporting form will be completed and, as a precaution, also inform the legal authorities before beginning the process which follows below.

Response to Initial Report of Sexual Abuse

(1) The allegation is immediately forwarded to the appropriate law enforcement agency which follows its own procedures. The Diocese of Pueblo will comply with all applicable civil laws with respect to the reporting of allegations of sexual abuse of minors to civil authorities and will cooperate in their investigation. At all times, the Diocese will advise and support a person's right to make a report to public authorities.

(2) The alleged victim(s) is immediately offered counseling and appropriate assistance, regardless of what further steps are taken.

(3) A preliminary investigation in harmony with canon law is then initiated.