The Executive Assistant is a professional presence who assists the Pastor with the stewardship of the physical and personnel resources of the Parish. This work includes, but is not limited to data and records management, phone, and email support, supplies and inventory management, communications work, managing use of church space by parish and outside groups, supporting church ministries and committees, and collaborating with volunteers. The Executive Assistant will be a resource for both members and non-members, and a welcoming and responsive presence in the Pastoral Office.
- Telephone: Answer, screen, and route incoming calls promptly, accurately, and courteously. Take messages as needed. Provide answers to parishioner questions and provide assistance when appropriate. Make outgoing calls and telephone appointments for the office as needed. Coordinate servicing of office telephones/answering system, updating messages as needed.
- Filing: Establish and maintain up-to-date filing systems, both hard copy and computer files. Distribute copies as needed and make computer back-up files as needed.
- Typing/Word processing: Prepare, type/word process, proof, correct, and, in some cases, compose routine and non-routine correspondence, memos, minutes, reports, forms, documents, brochures, bulletins, newsletters, lists, and charts as needed using Microsoft Word, Excel Spreadsheet, database and publishing software, scanner, and typewriter. Create and update spreadsheets to track mileage and mass intention payments to Pastor and Diocese.
- Mail: Distribute/route office mail and e-mail as needed. Prepare regular and bulk mailings. Sign for deliveries and notify appropriate people. Make copies or order printing as needed.
- Scheduling: Schedule facilities use, issue keys and collect fees/damage deposits. Place events on parish calendar as needed. Notify vendors and contractors of mail corrections/duplicate mailings. Schedule and coordinate meetings for Pastor. Maintain the Pastor’s online calendar.
- Ordering: Order office supplies, keep supply closet orderly, and arrange supplies for easy access. Track outstanding orders. Coordinate parish office accounts with vendors and contractors. Assist Church Councils & Committees for special activities or festivals in ordering food and supplies. Ensure the copier room and office kitchen/conference room and parish halls/pantries are kept stocked with needed supplies for office functions and meetings.
- Communications: Compile parish bulletin weekly, assuring quality control in accordance with pastor/pastoral administrator guidance. Refer visitors and callers to appropriate person and take and distribute messages. Maintain rosters/mailing lists of councils, committees, and other parish groups, initiate telephone notification or send out written notice of meetings, agendas, minutes, etc., as needed. Coordinate/communicate with Pastoral Administrator, Pastor, other staff, and parishioners as required to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Petty Cash: Maintain petty cash box, receipts for incidental expenses for less than $50.00
- Depositing: Make deposits, track on spreadsheet, and send deposit information via email to bookkeeper
- Billing: Create a billing system for bulletin advertisers, create reminders for non-payers, track payments made
- General: Participate in parish staff meetings/retreats and job-related deanery/diocesan meetings. Attend meetings, workshops, and seminars to update professional knowledge and skills and for spiritual development, as approved by the pastor or pastoral administrator. Follow established office policy and procedures (requests for time off, incident reports, maintenance requests, sign-out board, etc.).